Today I found out about the concept of Blue Monday – a day in the year that is claimed to be the most depressing. And even though I had a great day all in all, by the end of it, I was looking for an easy way out of cooking long and complicated dinner. Before giving in and ordering some take-out food (always an easy solution), I remembered that last Friday in a company of Latvian girls I heard that there are so few easy to make, no fuss recipes. This is to show, how not true that is 🙂
Ingredients for 2 people
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled, cut in small pieces
- 3 tablespoons of butter or margarine
- 2 slices of lemon
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 zucchini
- a bit of lettuce leaves
- 1 can of corn
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
- 5 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 – 1 1/2 tbsp of white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste + additional spices that you like
- Heat up your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Heat a large pan and melt 1tbsp of butter. Put the chicken in the pan, season with a bit of salt and pepper and brown on both sides (it took me around 5 min on each side)
- Transfer the chicken to the cutting board, put some garlic and lemon as well as a bit of butter under the skin, season with salt and pepper (this is also the time to use your favorite spices), put it in a greased ovenproof dish and put it in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Cut the zucchini in slices/halves/julliene. Basically anything goes. Bake them on a low heat in the same butter where you were frying the chicken, add salt and pepper. Normally in 5-7 minutes zucchini should be ready
- Meanwhile cut the tomatoes and lettuce leaves and combine them with the corn, add the zucchini and mix them together.
- In a small bowl or cup mix together shallot, red wine vinegar, olive oil and sugar. Let it stay for a while (I left it for about 20min) and absorb all the tastes. Add some salt and pepper if necessary.
- Before serving, toss the salad with the dressing and serve with the chicken. Enjoy your meal!
P.S. Yes, the food took me around 50min to prepare, but actual work from that time??? I say, 20-25.. all in between – you can manage to do what you feel like. I did my session of Kinect Dance Central for example:)